This year has been a particularly difficult one with my brother Sam’s passing earlier this year. I haven’t done one of these sit down chats with you since then, but I put out a msg about my self-care on IGS and you all requested for a sharing session, so here it is.
I fell into a really low point because I had been driving myself forward through work, distracting myself with travel and being busy. I am sure many of you are similar in the sense that if we don’t really heal and haven’t healed enough to move on we emit behavior of pain, feeling really unhappy, even feelings of depression at times. These feelings can become so overwhelming that I am required to slow down and take care of my health. There are five main aspects of personal health: physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and intellectual.
Here’s how I have been healing and practicing self-care:
- FitSphere – is so good for the mind and body. I have been prepping for FitSphere 21 Day Challenge which I am releasing in a few weeks and experiencing 15-20 minutes a day of exercise has been brain changing and so good for my mood.
- Meatless for 2 meals a day – I am A positive blood type which is said to be vegetarian preferred blood type. I have found that I do much better when eating carbs. I get dizzy when I don’t eat carbs and feel clearer and lighter with more energy with more vegetables in my diet.
- Coffee – I have had a life-long love for coffee which has turned into an addiction and I don’t like that I can’t start my day without a boost because I sometimes can’t get to one right away. As I travel so much and the dependency is actually slowing me down I have curbed my addiction and limited my coffee intake to 1-2 a week.
- Alcohol – drinking makes me feel sluggish the next day, which makes me want coffee, which keeps me on a cycle that is dependent on users and downers, as natural as they are I want to be independent from them for awhile so i am massively curbing alcohol. Limiting all alcohol to one glass a day at most in turn gives me time to connect and have healthier communication and time with friends.
- Health check ups – like to the dentist, regular health screening, gyno, etc.,
- Sleep – this one has been huge. Getting unapologetic naps and sleep ins has been so good for me. I travel sometimes 4 cities a week and really need to rest my body and sleep properly.
- Podcasts – I often listen to in when I run, when I do my nails, I even listened to it when I was getting my lashes permed and shared the experience with my Therapist.
Some of my faves right now are:
1. On Purpose with Jay Shetty.
2. How I built this with Guy Raz.
- Journaling – release, I see how important it is or how silly it is to me at the same time and its out of my system and I can move on. I have looked back and seen my growth and have been really proud of how far I’ve Come because I can see how I felt about something and how I feel about it now.
- Meditation – I have always wanted to have a daily meditation routine as I was only taking the time to meditate about 1-3 times a month. I am taking a 6 week online meditation course with Dani and I can already feel that it’s given me time to check in with myself and practice gratitude and encouragement which has boosted my self-esteem.
- Sound Healing – whether its listening to chanting music or going for a gong bath or a crystal bath I have been using music and sound to break up stagnancy emotionally and physically and to cleanse and align my chakras. Whether or not you believe in sound therapy or not, the way I feel afterwards is undeniable and I love it. I have been going for classes in SG, New York, and just signed up for one in Joshua Tree when I travel there next week.
- Breath Work – I joined Reiki master and breath work healer with Laura Pensiero for a workshop to invite love and connect to the beauty that lives inside of me.
- Spending time in Nature – it is so therapeutic and vital to my vision to see green after staring at blue light on screens all day. I love visiting national parks like Joshua tree, taking walks/runs in parks, beaches, and kicking off my shoes to let my feet touch the grass, sand, or water. I make a point to get into nature wherever I go.
- Teaching – What I learn myself I can share with you. I am combining the above in a Circle of Wellness FitSphere class with sound healing exclusively for Soho House members around the world.
- Relationships – Doing these activities with friends and growing with those I love – going to classes together, not just knowing them but sharing meaningful conversations with my friends and I have learned a lot from them. Deepening my bond and having powerful friendships with them.
How am I doing now?
These are just some of the ways I have been putting myself first lately and have felt massively better and boosted as a result. I have found that everything and everyone benefits from me taking care of myself and focusing on my well-being. These tips are good to practice at any time of the year especially if you find your self neglecting one aspect of your health. When you find yourself slipping try to come back to the 5 aspects of personal health and ask yourself “how are you”:? Really listen to your response from your body, mind, and emotional well-being and do what you need to recalibrate and invest in yourself. I make it a habit to spend at least 10% of my salary on wellness because I consider it as an investment in my livelihood. I believe you can do it too because your well-being is important to me!
I will put all of this in the links below in this video description. I hope you find this useful and will also be closing and starting the new year in good health.